A Brief History– Our simple farmhouse first showed up on census map in the 1840s but most likely it’s older than that. We’re pretty sure it was built in the 1700s with one room and a single fireplace. As the family grew, so did the house. Then, at some point in time and for some unknown reason, they abandoned the house. In the mid 1900s, old timers tell us the house served as a funeral home. The two front rooms made space for the overflow of mourners. Then that too ended and the house sat empty again. In 1986 the property was sold to make way for a gas station. The house, however, was saved from the wrecking ball by a single woman. She bought it, had it loaded onto a flatbed truck and moved it three miles to its current location. For the next thirty years she used the house for herself and as a rental until our arrival in 2015.
1. Side porch was enclosed and is now the master bath.
2. There was a third fireplace in the keeping room that was removed in 1986. This space was converted into the master bedroom.
3. A window (not shown) was added here by the last owner to lighten a very dark interior. For a short time the room served as a kitchen.
4. Living room & dining room fireplaces and windows were still intact although a few panes were broken.
5. No front porch existed in the early 1800s.
6. Shutters were removed some time after 1860 with the addition of the porch.