The Romantic c. 1935
Fashion details- Printed floral cotton blouse and skirt with sneakers all from Laura Ashley’s S/S Collection 1986.
The Classic c. 1956
Looking great for less.
Total Cost- $45.00
D.I.Y. folded arms shirt with unfinished hem**
Lands’ End paisley shorts….$45.00
Sandals (model’s own)
**D.I.Y- Folded Arms Shirt
I love this quirky, folded arms shirt from Creatures of Comfort; so much so that I decided to make one of my own (pictured above). Here’s how-
White button down (or other) cotton shirt, scissors, white thread, needle, sewing machinge
1. Carefully cut off the sleeves. Start at the underarm area of one sleeve about a 1/4 from the edge. Snip a small hole and insert your scissor tips. Cut all the way around. Do the same with the second sleeve.
2. Take the loose sleeves and place them so that they point up towards the collar with cuff buttons showing.
3. & 4. Pin each sleeve to sides just below the armhole working down.
5. You can either hand sew the sleeves on or do it with your sewing machine.
6. Give the shirt a good pressing with an iron.
(Photos & Styling- © 2014 Martha Browne. Model- Danielle)
Related Nibs posts-
Cheap Chic series
Key Piece- The White Shirt
Fashion Character- The Tomboy
Fashion details- Balmain lace top & viscose trousers with Rouleaux velvet hair rose.
(Photo- David Slijper for UK Harper’s Bazaar, May 2014)
The Romantic c. 1948-1955
This Modern Love is owned and operated by Anna Ackred. With a background in design and costume making, Anna began her label in 2009. She offers lovely, vintage styled dresses in soft, neutral colors. Perfect attire for a simple bride or bridesmaids.
Lily Ashwell always manages to catch the beauty and free spirit of the California girl. Be sure to check out her lookbook with Kirsty Hume modeling the new Spring collection.
Related Nibs posts-
Lily Ashwell- Spring 2013, Fall 2012
Fashion details- Satin canvas coat & pants with organza collared top by HONOR.
(Click image to enlarge)